Monday, June 24, 2013

Sea Turtle Nests on Ossabaw Island

This week I brought 17 educators to Ossabaw Island to study sea turtles. The first night out we saw four turtles. For one, we watched the complete nesting process. We encountered two of the others when they had finished and were headed back to the ocean. Just before heading in for the night, we saw one more coming in. The tide was low and she had a long way to walk, so we left her to her task and retreated by truck 8 miles back to the club house. Teachers are mesmerized and inspired by seeing nature in action. My task now is to help them figure out how to turn this adventure into a learning opportunity for their students. I look forward to seeing the teachers make meaning of their experiences on this magnificent barrier island.

In my doctoral program we are currently studying leadership for change. For this trip to Ossabaw, I am practicing my leadership skills. I am also hoping the teachers here become teacher leaders and share this experience with colleagues and students in a meaningful and creative way.

No comments:

Post a Comment